A constant concern for increasing energy efficiency is one of the key components of sustainable development and a strategic goal of Montenegro at the national level. It is also one of the most important components of the EU integrations. The National Strategy of Sustainable Development of Montenegro recognized the importance of energy efficiency for improving the quality of life, while recently formulated Strategy of Energy Efficiency of the Republic of Montenegro identified problems and trends in this field and provided guidelines for activity. Our project relied on these two strategies through implementation of individual activities.
The overall aim of the project was to increase energy usage efficiency, especially in construction, in order to contribute to the quality of life of citizens of Montenegro.
In order to achieve the set aim EXPEDITIO, in cooperation with partners from public, NGO and business sectors, as well as media, conducted the following activities:
1. Making recommendations for revising legislative framework towards energy oriented and economy enhancing regulations, paying special attention to international standards in energy saving, especially regulations of the European Union.
2. Raising awareness of the necessity and possibilities for saving energy in urban areas, as well as raising the level of education and information of citizens of Montenegro on possibilities for increasing energy efficiency in Montenegro
3. Improving and encouraging dialogue and partnership between business and NGO sectors, in order to contribute to a greater involvement of the business sector in the process of increasing energy efficiency in Montenegro.
The project was funded within the SECTOR programme of the Regional Environmental Centre for Central and Eastern Europe (REC) www.rec.org. The programme was financed by Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA).
Place: Kotor, Podgorica, Kolašin
Participants: NGOs- associates and partners in the project; local governments in Montenegro; students of technical sciences, environmental protection and economy; firms that deal with energy efficiency related products or services, Ministry of Spatial Planning; media interested in environmental issues; wider public – citizens of Montenegro;
Result: - Round table discussion about energy efficiently in the construction sector in Montenegro
- Panels that promote energy efficiency, distributed to all municipalities in Montenegro
- Promotional leaflet “Energy Days in Montenegro”
- Electronic bulletins treating the topic of sustainable building and energy efficiency
- Document “Compliance of legal framework in Montenegro with international standards in the field of energy efficiency in construction sector”
- Creating and updating a DATABASE and website http://www.greenexpeditio.org/
- Lecture “Bioclimatic Architecture – How to Build Energy Efficient Houses"
- Lighting a Botanical garden in Kolašin with solar lights and placing information tablets for plant species
Partners: - Ministry for Economic Development – Energy Sector, Unit for Energy Efficiency, Podgorica
- Montengro Business Alliance, Podgorica
- OZON Radio, Kolašin
- NGO NATURA, Kolašin
Donors: The project was funded within the SECTOR programme of the Regional Environmental Centre for Central and Eastern Europe (REC) www.rec.org. The programme was financed by Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA).
Fund: 9,000.00 €
Duration: June 2007- May 2008