EXPEDITIO - Center for Sustainable Spatial Development is socially engaged practice active in the field of architecture and urban planning since 1997.
EXPEDITIO is a non-governmental, non-profit and non-political organization founded by six students of architecture. The organization was officially registered with the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Montenegro in 2000, under No 868.
EXPEDITIO vision: Quality space for a better life.
EXPEDITIO mission is to encourage sustainable spatial development in Montenegro and SEE region through activity in the fields of sustainable architecture, cultural heritage, urban planning and through projects that encourage overall development of the civil society.
The main types of ACTIVITIES conducted by EXPEDITIO include cross-disciplinary engagement regarding urban sustainability, such as: developing studies and researches, organizing events (workshops, discussions, lectures, seminars, exhibitions …), advocacy activities, campaigns, publishing, actions in public spaces etc.
The STRUCTURE of EXPEDITIO consists of: Assembly, Board of directors, Executive Board, Members and Volunteers. EXPEDITIO has 5 full-time employees and a number of occasional collaborators. EXPEDITIO head office is based in Kotor (Montenegro) and also has a branch office in Belgrade (Serbia).
- Cultural heritage / Cultural landscape
- Sustainable (green, energy efficient) architecture
- Urban planning
- Civil sector development / Public advocacy
EXPEDITIO has implemented more than 100 projects and activities addressing various issues of sustainable spatial development, such as: urban and rural planning and management, cultural heritage and landscape, sustainable cities, public spaces, green/energy efficient architecture etc.
FROM THE STATUTE OF EXPEDITIO
In order to fulfill its vision and mission, EXPEDITIO performs the following activities in the field of architecture, urban planning, visual arts, culture, design and advocacy:
- Promotes the principle of sustainable development and modern trends in architecture, urban planning and spatial planning;
- Promotes the value and importance, together with pointing out to the problems, of created and natural environments and architectural heritage;
- Identifies problems, promotes and participates in finding solutions for devastated and endangered sites, through conducting specific projects (researches, studies, workshops, ...);
- Promotes green building principles (ecological building, eco-tourism, ...);
- Organizes scientific, expert and research projects within the framework of its activities;
- Publishes printed and electronic material in the areas of its activity;
- Establishes connections between the state, business and NGO sector, as well as citizens, for better mutual cooperation;
- Enhances the work of the NGO sector, assists in developing and strengthening the capacity of NGOs in the region of Boka Kotorska;
- Organizes trainings for acquiring skills and knowledge in the areas of organizational development, implementation of effective advocacy campaigns, inter-sectoral cooperation, as well as in other areas of interest for a viable and successful operation of government, NGO and business sectors;
- Provides consulting services to representatives of NGOs, state bodies and institutions and economic entities;
- Provides assistance and advice to NGOs and other interested parties for the preparation, implementation and evaluation of programmes, projects and initiatives in accordance with the requirements of domestic and foreign donors;
DECISSION MAKING PROCESSES
EXPEDITIO has been involved in various participatory planning and decision making processes and was represented in the National Council for Sustainable Development of Montenegro.
For its activities in the field of urban development, EXPEDITIO has received several awards and recognitions at the national and regional level.