Description: The area of the Municipality of Kotor boasts rich cultural heritage. The project entitled “Database of Cultural Monuments of Kotor – an Internet Presentation” aims to launch, through the internet as a modern media, an extensive presentation of the cultural heritage of Kotor. The first phase of the project includes the setting up of a bilingual site.n a simple and attractive way, the information about cultural assets of Kotor will be distributed to the broadest public.
In all studies and strategies, cultural heritage of Kotor and Boka Kotorska has been recognized as a great potential for the development of the area. In the municipality of Kotor itself, there are about 135 registered monuments of culture.
One of the main problems when it comes to valuation of the heritage assets is inadequate presentation of the existing information. Larger portion of the information about cultural monuments does not exist in an electronic form, which poses a great problem when the usage and presentation of the information is concerned.
The Regional institute for heritage protection in Kotor does not have its own web presentation, while the web presentation of the Republic institute for heritage protection in Cetinje is on an elementary level.
Through a website, the cultural heritage of the area of Kotor will be presented in an attractive way and it will be made easily available to the broadest audience. At the same time, the tourist industry of Kotor will be enriched by an important segment in its offer. Furthermore, once digitalized the data about cultural monuments will serve as a good basis for enhancing the cultural heritage registry system and the system monitoring the state of cultural heritage monuments.
The realization of this project means solving of the following problems:
• Lack of information in a digital form about protected cultural monuments on the territory of Kotor
• Inadequate web presentation of the cultural heritage on the territory of Kotor (with the exception of brief information for tourists about the most important monuments)
• Lack of basic information about cultural monuments in foreign languages
• Limited availability of information about cultural monuments to the broader public
• Lack of an interactive web map of cultural monuments on the territory of Kotor
• Lack of good quality descriptive photographs of cultural monuments on the territory of Kotor
THE AIM OF THE PROJECT is to promote cultural assets and a distinctive cultural character of the Municipality of Kotor by launching a bilingual internet presentation of the cultural monuments on the territory of the Municipality.
a. Creating an electronic – internet database of cultural monuments on the territory of Kotor
b. Promoting and presenting cultural assets of the Municipality of Kotor
Place: Kotor, Boka Kotorska
Participants: - EXPEDITIO
- Regional institute for heritage protection Kotor
Result: - an Internet presentation of cultural heritage on the territory of Kotor
- an electronic – internet database of cultural monuments on the territory of Kotor
Partners: - Regional institute for heritage protection Kotor
Donors: - The Municipality of Kotor, through a Competition for financing the NGO projects in 2008
Awarded funds: 3.275,00 €
Duration: August 2008-